Flux and fieldline animations
Animations of kinematic reconnection at localised non-ideal regions
- Two-dimensional reconnection.
- Reconnection in a locally 3D B-field (B is 2D outside the diffusion region).
- The same animation, but with a closed magnetic configuration.
- 3D reconnection in the absence of a null point - in the magnetic field (y,kx,b0) (Priest, Hornig and Pontin, 2003; Hornig and Priest, 2003).
- The effect of such reconnection on a closed magnetic configuration
- Kinematic reconnection at a 3D null point with spine-aligned current (Pontin, Hornig and Priest, 2004a)
- Kinematic reconnection at a 3D null point with fan-aligned current (Pontin, Hornig and Priest, 2004b):
Concepts of field line and flux conservation
- cartoon of fieldline non-conservation due to a localised non-ideal region
- cartoon of flux conservation with fieldline slippage
- cartoon demonstrating the non-equivalence of fieldline- and flux-conservation
Return to David's homepage